I did explain to the publisher that these books were pretty far from my genre and that I know nothing about children. The only supernatural thing really is a connection between twin brothers and I though that was a pretty tenuous support for an argument that it contained fantasy; also the main character feels he sees mysterious shapes in stones that no one else sees. So this is a weird Wednesday review in that it is way out in left field.
This is a nice book about a time for which we have only the findings of paleo-anthropologists and archaeologists. It reminded me of about 5th grade units when we would study a continent and then had to write a report on it. And, while it doesn't speak down to children it has that particular tone that I associate with kids' books. I don't have any idea whether kids like that tone. It has some great vocabulary words in it. And, the plot is interesting enough so you would enjoy reading it and discussing it with your child.
It is about a young man whose act of bravery elevates him in the mind of his clan. He goes off on a long journey with many dangers from which he almost doesn't return. I like how the young man works at building his skills through thought and practice - a great lesson. And, that was what I felt the most that it is a nice book, pleasant to read, with little or no fantasy component, and many lessons, well stated lessons but lessons that a smart kid will know are lessons.
So, my first two print books received from a publisher are what I have for my first contest - Zan-Gah and Zan-Gah and the Beautiful Country. Both are signed by the author, Allan R. Shickman. Zan--Gah was read but is in excellent shape and the second book is unread.
- One entry per email address, if I receive more than one only the first will count.
- You MUST be a follower of this blog.
- To enter, please leave a comment with an email in it where you may be contacted.
- If the winner doesn't respond to email within calendar 3 days I will move on to a new winner. If I email you on Monday you have Monday to midnight Wednesday to get in touch.
- Winners will be chosen by a physical draw from a basket.
- Contest Closes Sunday, June 27, 2010 at Midnight.
- Blogger retains right to refuse any entry that is spam or inappropriate.
- USA mailing addresses only.